The history of Grant Saw goes back to 1851, when a young man called Samuel Saw qualified as an Attorney of the Courts of Queens Bench. Deciding to set up and practise law, Greenwich was his first choice. From his home at 2 Bexley Place, now part of Greenwich High Road, he created the foundation of what was to become Grant Saw.
For the next 60 years, Samuel Saw headed the firm that carried his name, changing it to Saw & Sons when two of his sons, Samuel and Henry, joined him. In 1900, the practice moved to the upper floors of a building on the corner of Trafalgar Road and Whitworth Street, Greenwich. Downstairs was The London & County Bank, a client of the firm. Upstairs was the thriving law practice with the same mix of commercial and private clients that Grant Saw retains today.
When Samuel Saw Senior retired in 1912, Samuel Saw Junior continued to run the firm until his own retirement. A short time later, in 1956, a young solicitor called Geoffrey Grant joined the practice. In the 1960s, his name was added to that of the firm and Grant Saw was born. Geoffrey Grant sadly passed away on 4th April 2019 after a short illness, having been a solicitor for over 50 years.
The firm moved to offices in Norman Road in 2003 and subsequently to Horseferry Place in Greenwich in 2019.
In 2005, Grant Saw expanded when it merged with Hudgell Yeates, a long-established practice in Blackheath which had been founded by Maurice Hudgell in the late 1930s.
In 2007, succeeds in achieving the Lexcel accreditation for client care.
In 2011, the firm joined LawNet, a national network of about 70 law firms committed to quality and improving customer service.
In 2012, the firm opened a branch office in Blackheath.
In 2013, receives the ISO 9001 award, demonstrating the firm’s commitment to serving the needs of its clients and the WIQS quality mark from the Law Society for its private client work.
In 2017 the firm acquired the practice of Lawbridge Solicitors in Sidcup, a firm founded a decade earlier by Michael Pope, and maintains a branch office there.
In 2018, new office premises are obtained in Blackheath and the firm is awarded the Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation for demonstrating and maintaining best practice for our IT systems.
In 2019, having been temporarily based at North Greenwich, the Greenwich office moves to a brand new office in Wood Wharf.
Grant Saw now has six partners and since 2007 has achieved ISO 9001 and the Law Society’s Lexcel Quality Standard, CQS and WIQS accreditations.